Superfoods are considered to be nutrient-dense and hence beneficial for one’s health. Superfoods contain a variety of nutrients, such as antioxidants, healthy fats, and fiber.
Today’s article includes five best superfood recipes with healthy ingredients that you and your beloved elderly family members will enjoy.
5 Best Superfood Recipes for Senior Citizens
Orange Pomegranate Salmon
Orange, pomegranate, and salmon are all superfoods.
- Orange. Vitamin C, abundant in oranges, has anti-inflammatory properties to protect our bodies from diseases. Additionally, vitamin C is essential for supporting the immune systems so they can fend off various age-related diseases.
- Pomegranate seeds. Their prominence as a superfood is due to polyphenols, potent antioxidants known to affect cancer prevention and heart health positively.
- Salmon. This fish is rich in omega-3 fatty acids, a heart-healthy fat that can reduce inflammation and support brain health.
A vibrant, holiday-themed salmon dish looks spectacular on your family table. Our recipe for today will dispel any doubts you may have about how tough this dish is to make.
To make the dish more enticing, you can prepare zucchini, asparagus, carrots, salt, and cayenne pepper in addition to the primary ingredients. Then, adhere to these instructions to finish the dish.
- Set the oven to 450 degrees.
- Combine orange juice, grated orange zest, salt, and cayenne pepper in a small bowl; set aside.
- Place fish filets on heavy-duty foil. Top carrot and zucchini on the fish, then pour the orange juice mixture over them.
- Fold foil paper over the fish. Put them on baking trays and bake for 12-15 minutes until the fish flakes easily with a fork.
- Serve the dish with some pomegranate seeds on top.
Berries Salad with Seeds
Raspberries, blueberries, and strawberries are all excellent foods for improving cognitive functions. A Harvard study found that women in their 70s and older who consume more strawberries or blueberries may postpone cognitive aging by up to two and a half years.
Berry fruit salad is a light, refreshing start to a family dinner. This simple fruit salad recipe is elevated to a new level of deliciousness with a tangy honey lime dressing and seed toppings.
The sweet and sour honey lime dressing brings out a natural sweetness to the berries. Any type of seed you have on hand, such as pumpkin seeds, walnuts, or almonds, can be added to the salad to make it your own. You can wash and slice fresh berries before scattering them along with seeds on top of the salad. Also, you might try whisking or mixing honey, lime, olive oil, and seasoning to make the dressing.
Green Summer Salad
A balanced diet for your elderly family members should include healthy, fiber-rich healthy plants. These foods are believed to bring various benefits to the body, including lowering blood pressure, preventing digestive problems, enhancing muscular and bone functioning, and more.
Nitrate-rich veggies, including lettuce, spinach, kale, and even beets, were reported to provide the best health advantages. According to a study published in the Journal of Nutrition, those who consumed a nitrate-rich diet, mainly from vegetables, had much superior muscular function in their lower limbs.
Additionally, as we get older, calcium and other minerals begin to leech out of our bones, leaving them brittle, fragile, and easily breakable. This condition can be linked to a greater risk of falls and fractures. To help strengthen their bones, seniors should increase their intake of calcium and other food-based minerals, which they can get from dark leafy greens.
A big bowl of summer salad loaded with seasonal fresh ingredients is always welcomed at the dinner table! But, which vegetables should we choose for this delicious salad?
You can follow our recipe to prepare the tastiest summer salad to surprise your family. Ingredients include:
- Greens. Choose any greens your family loves, such as baby spinach, kale, green beans, broccoli, and cucumbers.
- Other vegetables. To add color and eye appeal to the salad, you can opt for corn, tomatoes, oranges, or cauliflower.
- Dressing. Every vinaigrette begins with oil and either vinegar or lemon juice. Then, add other seasonings, such as garlic powder or onion powder.
- Variations. Your summer salad can be different every time with delightful additions, such as grilled chicken, stir-fried shrimp, nuts & seeds, or cheese.
First, combine greens and other veggies in a large bowl. After that, stir in the appropriate amount of dressing and mix everything up. Finally, add the variations on top, and serve right away.
Avocado and Banana Smoothie
Try blending avocado and banana with some honey, vanilla extract, and low-fat milk if your parents find avocado smoothies monotonous. You will be amazed at how well-matched these two fruits are.
Avocado is well known for its plethora of health advantages. Look no further than avocados if you’re seeking a nutrient-dense food to add to your parents’ diet. They are an excellent ingredient for seniors who wish to enhance their vitamin and mineral consumption to improve their health
The following are some reasons why avocados are superior to other foods.
- Avocados are rich in omega-3s, an energy source that supports the proper functioning of your immune system, heart, lungs, blood vessels, and other body systems.
- Avocados are abundant in vitamins C, E, K, and B-6 and other minerals.
- Avocados contain low sugar levels.
Goat Cheese and Avocado Toast
What if our beloved family members are big fans of avocados but not smoothies? Is there another option? Yes, make some toast with goat cheese and avocado, and see how your family reacts to this delicious, healthy dish.
You need slices of crusty bread, avocados, goat cheese, extra virgin olive oil, red pepper flakes, and sea salt.
First, toast the bread until it turns crisp and light golden brown. Next, smash the avocado with a fork and divide it equally between bread slices, topped with crumbled goat cheese and olive oil. Finish by sprinkling some sea salt and pepper flakes.
Nutrition at 12 Oaks Senior Living Communities
At 12 Oaks, our team designs a meal plan to increase nourishment and adjust it as your family member gets comfortable. Our meal plans involve dedicated care and chef-prepared meals, with easy access to your seniors’ favorite foods or beverages.
The community we offer increases motivation to eat, and we witness a visible increase in happiness among our residents. We believe that our tasty and wholesome meals improve the quality of life for our senior residents.
If you have questions about superfoods for seniors or any conditions discussed here, connect with us and learn more.
At 12 Oaks, our team of caring professionals is dedicated to keeping residents safe, engaged, and connected to their families and friends while leading fulfilling lives. 12 Oaks senior living communities are an ideal place to enjoy the encore season of life.
For questions or to schedule a personalized tour, don’t hesitate to contact us.
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR BLOG
Searching for senior living help? At 12 Oaks Senior Living, we would love to learn more about your unique needs and the opportunity we may have to help you meet them. Our blog is one of the valuable resources we provide to inform and encourage seniors to lead fulfilling and thriving lives. Contact us today to schedule a visit.