Over time, people have more ways of communication to keep in touch with friends and family across the world. The invention of the Internet has harbored a world of borderless communication where people can call and see their loved ones via video call and send and receive text messages in the blink of an eye using a reliable Wi-Fi connection.
An exceptional phone plan is one that keeps seniors’ monthly expenses as low as possible while ensuring they have enough minutes and data to do things like call their friends and loved ones, read the news, watch Netflix, and play games.
Finding the best cell phone plans for seniors can be a daunting task. With that in mind, we have narrowed your search with a comprehensive guide to the best plans for seniors aged 55 and up.
Narrowing Your Search With Our Guide To The Best Cell Phone Plans For Seniors | 2023 Edition
Choosing Best Cell Phone Plans for Seniors: Factors to Consider
When opting for a phone plan for seniors, keep in mind that not all plans are created equal. Distinctive features, special discounts, and add-ons may cause one plan to differ from the others. It is important to help your seniors research and compare plans. Such practices can shorten the buying process and make it easier to find the plan that makes sense to your seniors’ needs. Some factors to consider when buying senior cell phone plans:
- Pricing: Several carriers cater phone plans for seniors at a great value. Although these plans limit the minutes and messages, they are primarily suitable for seniors who don’t look for anything fancy.
- Coverage Areas and Network Reliability: Signal strength and service quality are essential for cell phone plans. Of course, high-speed connections are much better when you use cellular to go online. No one wants to experience disconnection or out-of-service, especially in emergencies.
- Data Plans: Data allows for a fast connection whenever you go. Depending on personal preferences, carriers have various data plans to meet unique needs. Unlimited data plans are the best option for seniors who consume lots of data or are frequently on the go, whereas those who only need a little data when out and about can have enough with limited data plans. As data usage increases the cost, assessing all plans to find the best fit is crucial.
- Contracts: Seniors’ needs can evolve, so long-term contracts are a no-go. Look for contracts with flexible sign-ups and termination policies.
- Ease of Use: Several providers aim to make things more simple and manageable for seniors. It means seniors are walked through the entire process with a helping hand from the staff.
- Easy-to-use Phones: While seniors may need more time to adapt to smartphones, consider getting senior cell phones with simple interfaces and large buttons.
- Payment Options: Some simplify the payment process by allowing for upfront payments at cheaper rates. Prepaid and postpaid are two standard payment methods, each with pros and cons. Prepaid plans work best for people on fixed budgets, but they must manage their uses to prevent sudden data cutoffs. In contrast, paying at the end of each month means you don’t have to worry about data running out anytime soon, but the payment can be outrageous if you don’t keep an eye on your data usage.
- Special Discounts: As seniors are widely eligible for various senior discounts at restaurants, retail stores, and service providers, it is not difficult to obtain a few percent off for phone plans. It is an economical solution that saves seniors money. So don’t hesitate to ask for any available discounts when buying a plan.
- Customer Support: Exceptional customer service is vital because it ensures seniors receive adequate assistance day and night when something’s off the grid.
- International Roaming Plans: Flexibility in international roaming plans can benefit seniors who frequently cross the border.
- Emergency Services: This plan provides seniors with prompt assistance in times of emergency inside and outside their homes.
Best Cell Phone Plans For Seniors 2023
- Consumer primarily focuses on the 55+ market.
- It offers flexible contracts and no hidden fees, so seniors can change their plans anytime.
- The plans start at $15 per month for talk only (300 minutes), $20 per month for unlimited talk and text, and $50 per month for unlimited talk, text, and data.
- It has discounts (5%) for AARP members; seniors can get two lines of unlimited plans for $27.50.
- It offers many phone models from Apple, Samsung, and Motorola.
- One line with unlimited data costs $50, and only $15 extra for two lines.
- AT&T is an excellent option for its reliable network coverage, quality customer service, and high-tech devices.
- 5G coverage is available.
- The $40 plan with unlimited talk, text, and data is available for residents from Florida.
- It caters to a broad range of customized plans.
- It provides customized, senior-specific plans for those aged 55 and above.
- It offers discounts for low-income individuals.
- It has low-cost international roaming packages.
- T-Mobile is the most affordable option for seniors with unlimited plans of talk, text, and data, costing $27.50 per month per line for two lines.
- It requires no annual contract.
- It offers discounts when purchasing multiple lines.
- It offers a wide range of phones for distinctive uses, from flip phones to smartphones.
- It offers free SIM cards to pair with existing phones.
- T-mobile’s unlimited plans for seniors age 55+ are available nationwide.
- Its higher-tier 55+ plans include a free Netflix subscription and in-flight Wi-Fi.
- Lively requires no long-term contracts.
- It offers low-priced, senior-friendly phones: the Jitterbug Flip and the Jitterbug Smart.
- It has helpful safety features: Health & Safety Packages, Urgent Care, and Urgent Response, which can be added without contract.
- The plan costs as low as $19.99 for unlimited talk and text and $49.99 monthly for unlimited talk, text, and data.
- Ultra Mobile’s pay-as-you-go plans are affordable.
- Customers can receive 100 minutes of talk and 100MB of data for $3 per month.
- Add-ons are available for increased uses: 3 cents per megabyte or $5 for 500MB.
- One day of unlimited text and talk is $2 and $10 for a week.
- Verizon has the largest selection of phones and devices covered (smartphones, tablets, wearables, smartwatches)
- Unlimited plans start at $40 per month per line; one line costs $60 per month.
- It offers discounts for veterans and military families.
- It has hotspot usage and international coverage.
- The plan costs $15 per month for unlimited talk, text, and data.
- Mint Mobile requires no activation fee and long-term contracts.
- It is powered by T-Mobile’s network, meaning you can access the 5G network at reasonable rates.
- It allows customers to keep their existing number.
- It has 5G coverage and access.
- Premium wireless package costs $15 per month, and 3 months of service for $45.
- The 55+ plan offers free international calls to Mexico and Canada.
- Visible offers $40 plans per month without hidden fees.
- The unlimited plan allows customers to use their phone as a Wi-Fi hotspot.
- It offers
- Visible offers free international texting and calling for extra fees.
- It is a good option for seniors seeking simple plans.
If you have questions about how to find the best cell phone plans for seniors or any topics discussed here, connect with us and learn more.
At 12 Oaks, our team of caring professionals is dedicated to keeping residents safe, engaged, and connected to their families and friends while leading fulfilling lives. 12 Oaks Senior Living Communities are an ideal place to enjoy the encore season of life.
For questions or to schedule a personalized tour, don’t hesitate to contact us.
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR BLOG
Searching for senior living help? At 12 Oaks Senior Living Communities, we would love to learn more about your unique needs and the opportunity we may have to help you meet them. Our blog is one of the valuable resources we provide to inform and encourage seniors to lead fulfilling and thriving lives. Contact us today to schedule a visit.