It can be hard on your family when your loved one begins to need more support than can be provided at home. This is especially true when caring for loved ones who have Alzheimer’s disease or another form of dementia. The demands of care can be difficult to manage as their needs are so different and often more vulnerable. However, you can take comfort knowing that there is a type of senior living specifically designed to meet these needs.
Here’s how Memory Care for Alzheimer’s and dementia can benefit your loved one.
What is Memory Care?
Senior living communities that offer Memory Care feature specially trained staff that provide individualized support and 24-hour supervision for residents with Alzheimer’s and dementia. Your loved one experiences a range of opportunities in a safe environment to experience purpose and joy in life.
While not all Memory Care communities are alike; you can typically expect:
- A private or companion apartment
- Meals and snacks
- Medication management
- Assistance with daily tasks such as bathing, dressing and eating
- Cognitive and physical therapy
- Fitness programs
- Social activities
- Housekeeping and laundry services
Options for Memory Care
You also have options when it comes to the Memory Care setting best suited to meet the needs of your loved one. There are distinct differences and advantages in each of the two most common options.
- A neighborhood or unit within an assisted living community has advantages that include:
- Your loved one could potentially move to assisted living initially and transition into memory care later.
- Couples, in which one has dementia and the other does not, may be able to remain together; at least on the same campus.
- In a smaller neighborhood, the number of residents may be less.
- A stand-alone memory care community is exclusively for those with dementia and as such everything has been designed with their needs in mind. Advantages include:
- Secured living areas, yet easy to navigate to prevent wandering.
- Color scheme and lighting design that creates a calm, relaxed environment.
- Familiar daily routine, often with the same caregivers.
- Low resident to staff ratio for more individualized care.
SYMPHONY OF LIFE® – Exceptional Memory Care
Our Memory Care community offers the exclusive SYMPHONY OF LIFE® daily lifestyle experience that’s dedicated to meeting the unique needs of residents in body, mind and spirit, as expressed in community. Working in harmony, our staff helps each resident to reach their fullest potential in:
- Body – Serving physical health and wellbeing through a balanced and nutritious diet, with daily opportunities for physical exercise. We provide new opportunities while bending toward the comforts that naturally grow out of the routine.
- Mind – Developing a relationship of trust while helping residents stay connected to their life story and build on their unique abilities and strengths.
- Spirit – Paying tribute to the human spirit by providing many opportunities throughout each week for residents to celebrate milestones and to reflect on the journey of life.
- Community – Embracing the benefits of living in community with others and helping residents to foster new relationships while staying connected with their cherished loved ones.
The true value of dedicated memory care creates an environment in which your loved one has the support and opportunity to thrive, while providing families with the peace of mind they deserve.
For more information on SYMPHONY OF LIFE® and 12 Oaks Senior Living, contact us today to speak to an advisor or schedule a tour →
SYMPHONY OF LIFE® is a registered trademark of 12 Oaks Senior Living.