When it comes to dating, most seniors think they are way past the dating scene because of their advanced ages.
Believe it or not, dating at older ages has its charm despite ups and downs. Plus, it is never too late to find your soulmate again, especially if you have struggled with getting over the loss of your deceased spouse. In the end, life is more meaningful when we find love and happiness, no matter what age.
Are you struggling with dating at 70 and unsure where to start and what to do? Let’s explore our list of seven dating advice for seniors who want to date again.
MORE TO EXPLORE: 14 Fun and Easy Craft Ideas You and Your Elder Loved Ones Can Do
Dating Advice for Seniors
Although there are no rules when it comes to love – age, perceptions, and newfound changes in mindset can make many seniors act defensively and brush off the idea of dating, eventually resulting in missed opportunities to find their perfect match.
Are you ready to take the leap? Equip yourself with the following senior dating tips to rediscover the joy of life with a new companion.
Senior Dating Advice #1: Keep an Open Mind
It is entirely acceptable to stick to your standards when finding potential partners, but being too rigid does more harm than good at this point in life. Like dating at young ages, limiting your options and sticking to the stigma surrounding the dating scene can prevent you from meeting someone new who might just be your perfect match! Instead, keep an open mind and put yourself out there.
Senior Dating Advice #2: Open Your Heart
Numerous seniors decide to step into the dating scene mainly because they have recently become widowed and probably struggle to rebalance their life after losing their spouses.
Getting over the loss of someone you love dearly in your heart is not easy. Sadness can harm your overall wellness and keep you from starting anew. Understandably, it may take time to let someone into your heart again. But when the time comes when you are ready, try to open your heart to the possibility of love and companionship. Alongside the support from your children, letting someone in can help you rediscover happiness. It is not all about finding someone to meet your needs, but being around someone who may be in the same shoes can make you feel validated and understood.
Senior Dating Advice #3: Be Transparent
When you were young, you might have heard that “dating is a game”. However, it is time to forget cat-and-mouse chase and nonsense dating rules, such as waiting hours to reply to a text or sending mixed signals.
Rather than playing hard to get and leaving the other person hanging for no apparent reason, be expressive and open about what you want in a relationship. Essentially, honesty is the key to a fulfilling relationship. It helps both partners have constructive conversations where each party has a chance to express their expectations, concerns, and hopes before sealing the deal. In a way, being transparent helps save a lot of time and prevents hurt feelings when things don’t work out.
Senior Dating Advice #4: Improve How You Look
Several seniors shy away from the idea of dating and looking for love because they are way too self-conscious about their appearance, worrying that they may no longer look attractive enough.
While obsessing over looks is likely not at the top of the priority list of dating for seniors, it is still worth maintaining your physical look before getting back to the market. A toned physique can boost your desirability and confidence. At older ages, the safest way to improve your physical appearance and health is to work out and exercise at a low intensity. Also, don’t forget to make an upgrade to your wardrobe, makeup, and hairstyle.
Senior Dating Advice #5: Have Realistic Expectations
The dating scene at 70 is undoubtedly different from that of dating at 20, especially if you live in a world of ever-changing technology where online dating has become a norm. Therefore, it is very likely that you will participate in the online dating phenomenon due to the many benefits it brings to the table. All you need to do is a few clicks and swipes, match, and initiate a conversation whenever you feel like it. Dating has never been this easy!
The thing is, while online dating apps are much handier than spending time presenting yourself in social settings, getting hooked on those platforms can affect your overall outlook on love and romantic connection.
For example, you might be too focused on looks and ignore everything else, increasing your chances of being “catfished” or bumping into sketchy individuals due to their seemingly perfect persona in the virtual world. To avoid worst-case scenarios, it is best to take one step at a time, move cautiously, keep an open mind, and set realistic expectations when venturing out.
Don’t forget to ask close friends and kids whether online dating is worth a try. When dating online, remember to be honest about yourself, which means no bluffing about age, height, background, etc.
Senior Dating Advice #6: Enjoy Every Moment
Despite being in a different stage of life, one sure thing is seniors no longer have the same concerns occupying their minds that they had when they were younger. For example, dating at the age of 70 needn’t result in marriage and long-term plans.
With fewer and different life obligations than when you were younger, encourage yourself to take risks and enjoy every moment as much as possible. Not only does it pave the way for wonderful things ahead, but it also allows you to experience new things that you didn’t have a chance to do earlier. Human connections and social interactions are vital for mental health. Don’t be afraid to step out of your comfort zone. If there is someone who might be the right person for you, go for it!
Senior Dating Advice #7: Resiliency Is Key
Let’s face it: Not everyone gets instantly lucky in love. Realistically, meeting your soulmate doesn’t happen overnight, so it may require effort and go on multiple dates before finding your perfect match. Even if it doesn’t turn into something long-term and exclusive, going on dates is an opportunity to expand your social circle and make more friends.
MORE TO EXPLORE: 6 Amazing Health Benefits of Gardening for Seniors and Caregivers
Where to Meet Your Potential Partner
In modern society, finding your potential partner is not as difficult as it used to be, especially with the help of online dating sites and apps. Other ways to search for other seniors who want to date include:
- Social Gatherings: Social events and activities are ideal places to meet new people. Seriously, it could be anywhere, such as churches, parks, farmers’ markets, and flea markets, to name just a few. Alternatively, joining a club of your favorite hobbies is another way to increase your chances of meeting your soulmate who shares the same interests as you.
- Family & Friends: Naturally, family and friends are an excellent source of bringing you into contact with potential partners. The perk of this approach is that your closest friends and family members are the ones who know you the best, so they might be a great help at doing the browsing part based on the fact that they are aware of your ideal type. As discussed earlier, don’t be afraid to put yourself out there. You never know what fate will bring!
- Offline Dating Services: Not sure how to put yourself out there? Offline dating services could do the work for you. Following registration, they will help you match with potential candidates per your specific requirements. Unlike online dating sites, which carry the risks of being catfished, offline dating allows you and other seniors to meet other seniors in real life. The best part about this senior dating method is that it helps you get straight into the business with ultimate assistance from professional matchmakers.
- Senior Online Dating Sites: Online dating sites and apps increase your options. Before creating a profile with your best-dressed photo, make sure you are familiar with using a computer or smartphone. If possible, ask for help from your kids when navigating the online world. You may also take a computer refresher course or watch YouTube videos about online dating. Check for some of the best senior dating sites HERE.
Senior Dating: Top Date Ideas
Wondering what to do during a date with your special someone? We have compiled a list of exciting date ideas to keep your partner smiling from ear to ear.
- Attend a cooking class
- Play board games or solve puzzles together
- Attend a wine-tasting event
- Go to a local farmers’ market
- Go to a local concert
- Bake a cake or pie
- Take a dance class
- Take part in a book club
- Do gardening
- Attend an exercise class together
- Drive around to visit local tourist attractions
- Go out for breakfasts, lunches, brunches, or dinners
- Plan a picnic
- Plan outdoor activities (hiking, walking, jogging)
- Go to a jazz club
- Visit local museums and top attractions
If you have questions about older couples dating, senior dating tips, or any topics discussed here, connect with us and learn more.
At 12 Oaks, our team of caring professionals is dedicated to keeping residents safe, engaged, and connected to their families and friends while leading fulfilling lives. 12 Oaks senior living communities are an ideal place to enjoy the encore season of life.
For questions or to schedule a personalized tour, don’t hesitate to contact us.
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR BLOG
Searching for senior living help? At 12 Oaks Senior Living, we would love to learn more about your unique needs and the opportunity we may have to help you meet them. Our blog is one of the valuable resources we provide to inform and encourage seniors to lead fulfilling and thriving lives. Contact us today to schedule a visit.