Dementia takes so much, not the least of which is independence. It’s so hard to watch your family member struggle with their normal daily routine, get confused in familiar places and/or retreat from social situations they once enjoyed. What families often find even more difficult is the idea of moving a family member from their home, thinking a memory care environment will take that last bit of independence away. However, their loved one’s independence can actually be promoted in an intentionally-designed memory care environment like 12 Oaks Senior Living’s SYMPHONY OF LIFE® communities.
More about Memory Care
Memory care is a type of senior living designed exclusively for those with Alzheimer’s disease and other types of dementia. These communities feature specially-trained staff, 24-hour support and a safe, comfortable environment that offers a range of opportunities for your family member to experience independence, purpose, and joy in life.
Memory care communities typically feature:
- Private or companion apartments
- Meals and snacks
- Medication management
- Assistance with daily tasks such as bathing, dressing, and eating
- Cognitive and physical therapy
- Fitness programs
- Social activities
- Housekeeping and laundry services
Advantages of Intentionally-Designed Memory Care
While traditional memory care ensures the physical needs of residents are being met, our SYMPHONY OF LIFE® program takes it a step further with an intentionally-designed program that nurtures the whole person, not just the physical part.
A key element here is the environment in our communities; not just the space itself, but also the elements we incorporate into daily life. Because we understand the unique challenges faced by those with Alzheimer’s disease and dementia as they navigate their world, we’ve created avenues that make it easier for them to communicate, relate, and still be present in the moment. Some of the ways intentionally-designed memory care programs do this include:
- Use of way-finding colors and cueing to help residents navigate their neighborhood.
- Easy-to-navigate layouts that are not only accessible but minimize steps as well fall hazards to increase safety.
- Safety features and mobility aids to facilitate more independence with daily tasks.
- A secure setting both inside and in outdoor spaces, as well as 24-hour resident oversite for added comfort for them and peace of mind for you.
- Special lighting to reduce glare as well as anxiety.
- Placing intentional artwork throughout the community that leads residents to conversation spots so they have the opportunity for social connection.
- Using red plates, a color proven to stimulate the appetite, as well as weighted cups and easy-to-grip silverware to encourage independence by making it easier to enjoy meals.
- Using Eversound headphones, specifically made for seniors with dementia, to help residents overcome hearing challenges (and also to help calm and redirect those experiencing agitation) so they can better communicate and feel more comfortable.
- Bringing nature indoors with Eldergrow gardens to help residents engage in meaningful ways physically, socially, cognitively, creatively and spiritually.
For more information on SYMPHONY OF LIFE®, download our Just the Facts Guide to Memory Care or contact us today to schedule a virtual tour.