For ages, art, crafts, and other creative activities have always been linked with significant impacts on countless aspects of our lives. Art allows us to express ourselves and non-verbally communicate our deepest feelings, thoughts, experiences, and emotions.
While children are encouraged to join art activities to develop various skills and advance their creative thinking, art has been reintroduced into the lives of seniors following several studies demonstrating that engagement in different art forms can improve their overall quality of life and pave the way for healthier and more fulfilling aging.
Let’s explore our list of fun and inexpensive creative arts activities for seniors to keep your parents active and help them make the most of their free time.
Best Creative Arts Activities for Seniors to Unlock Their Artistic Potential
How Do Creative Arts Activities Benefit Seniors?
Some impressive benefits of art for older adults are as follows:
- Improve mental health — Aging often results in agitation and negative feelings. Many studies have emphasized the effects of art on cognitive improvements in general. Art is among the most excellent ways for seniors to unwind their mood swings and foster relaxation and calmness. As seniors get to work on art projects, their brains produce endorphins. The production of feel-good hormones can help seniors better cope with the invasion of stress and negative thoughts, eliminate boredom, better control their mood, and avoid mental health issues.
- Restore physical health — Art activities also boost seniors’ physical health. As seniors move around and use their hands, fingers, and arms to paint or potter, these motions can help reduce stiffness caused by arthritis. Since stress is linked with higher risks of health conditions, art aiding in stress reduction as mentioned earlier is believed to deliver healing properties and relief to chronic pain and discomfort.
- Form new relationships and increase socialization — Picking up creative hobbies is the quickest way to meet new faces, connect with like-minded seniors, enlarge social networks, and strengthen social bonds through mutual interests. New friendships and regular conversations can help seniors ward off feelings of isolation and loneliness and improve their emotional health.
- Enhance brain performance — Another health benefit of creative arts activity for seniors is improving brain performance and flexibility. According to numerous research, creative art can keep the brain stimulated and active, minimizing the risk of cognitive decline and issues.
- Pursue greater self-expression — With seniors’ deteriorating physical health that hinders their thought processes, most face challenges expressing themselves. Joining art classes can give seniors more chances to unlock their deepest feelings and thoughts, allowing them to better communicate with their children, caregivers, and family members when dealing with emotional distraught following the loss of their spouse or friends.
- Revamp motor skills — As seniors grow older, their motor skills decline. This can be a significant obstacle for most seniors, as motor skills play a significant role in maintaining independence, mainly if they have little to no support daily. Painting or coloring also allows seniors to exercise their arms and hands, improving dexterity, muscle coordination, and blood flow over time.
Fun Creative Arts Activities and Ideas for Seniors
It is said that art is a powerful communication tool between human beings. It allows everyone to present their feelings less straightforwardly and connect with others through nonverbal, symbolic means in a world of disconnected human interaction.
The best part about art is that no one has to be a Picasso to create their very own works of art. It has no boundaries, and anyone can indulge in the art that speaks to their innermost emotions, life experiences and thought processes.
Are you seeking creative activities and ideas to spice up your parents’ free time? Get ideas from our list of cute, fun, inexpensive, and no-fail creative arts endeavors for seniors. Your parents may find activities that inspire them to explore their artistic sides and embrace their individuality when it comes to creating art.
General Craft and Creative Arts Activities
- Painting: When speaking of art, painting is the first art activity that comes to mind for most people. Painting is the ultimate creative outlet that lets seniors play with brush strokes and strive beyond their creative limits.
- Abstract painting: While we don’t have to be good at art to create art, abstract painting is a soulful art activity that gives your parents more chances to create their art and nurture their creativity in greater freedom and self-expression.
- Finger painting: Finger painting can be messy, but it is a refreshing experience for seniors when they can create a work of art with their fingers compared to traditional painting brushes, especially if they have problems with coordination. Check for more finger painting ideas here.
- Mandala Coloring: Coloring mandalas is another relaxing creative art activity for seniors. As a form of meditation, coloring geometrical shapes helps your parents switch their focus and take their minds away from day-to-day concerns.
- Art journals and scrapbooks: Making art journals and scrapbooks is a delightful art form to help your parents express their ideas and thoughts and secure their memories — in an artistic way.
- Greeting cards: Greeting cards is a great way to bring smiles to those you hold close to your heart. Your parents can make greeting cards and send them to loved ones on birthdays, holidays, and special occasions.
- Pottery: Pottery or ceramics making is a fun activity that your parents can enjoy from the beginning to the end. It is a creative outlet allowing seniors to express their artistic sides while creating one-of-a-kind gifts for friends and family.
- Coasters: If your parents have never tried crafting, making coasters can be an excellent starting point. Custom coasters are easy to make and add unique touches to your parents’ dining and coffee tables. Start decorating ceramic tiles with Sharpie or acrylic paint, some brushes/sponges, and mod podge to seal the final decor.
- Decorated bookmarks: There are tons of ways to make bookmarks. They also make perfect gifts for friends and family members who love reading books as much as your parents.
- Embellished picture frames: Picture frames are great for keeping memories alive. Help your parents buy plain picture frames and decorations of choice.
- Photo collages: Making photo collages can be a fun art activity for your parents to indulge in, as they have chances to go through photos of their loved ones or their best memories and create something that makes a great addition to their personal hallway of fame.
- Photo magnets: Custom or photo magnets are a fun way to transform your parents’ dull-looking fridge.
Spring Craft and Creative Arts Activities
Here are some fun spring art activities to enhance your parents’ springtime.
- Music painting
- Garden stepping stones
- Painted terracotta flower pots
- Painted mason jars
- Spring-inspired painting
- Spring-themed photo collages
- May day baskets
- Decorated bird feeder
- DIY pressed flowers
- Paper flowers
- Paper animals
- Springtime floral or greenery wreaths
- Decorated Easter eggs or baskets
Summer Craft and Creative Arts Activities
Here are some cute summer art activities to keep your parents away from the heat.
- Memory or shadow boxes
- Fruit-themed coasters and doormats
- Painted rocks
- Painted floral mugs and cups
- Embellished eyeglass cases
- Summer floral and greenery wreaths
- Patriotic painted mason jars and flower pots
- Wooden or clay bead bracelets
- Summer-themed fridge magnets
Fall Craft and Creative Arts Activities
Here are some exciting craft and creative arts activities to welcome the fall and spooky season.
- Fall-inspired flower wreaths
- Pressed fall leaves
- Felt ruffle pumpkins
- Painted ceramic pumpkins
- Fall leaf coasters
- Fabric or yarn pumpkins
- Fall leaf bowls
- Embellished pumpkin decorations
- Pumpkin carvings and decorations
- Pom-pom spiders
- Floating ghosts with googly eyes.
- DIY treat bags
Winter Craft and Creative Arts Activities
Here are some easy, no-fail winter art and craft activities for seniors to decorate their homes for the long holly season!
- Decorated throw pillows and cushions
- Waterless snow globes
- Snowflake clings
- DIY Christmas ornaments
- Christmas-themed luminaries
- Winter greenery wreaths
- Painted Christmas-inspired mugs
- Christmas greeting cards
- Knitted gloves
- Crochet coasters
- Decorated scented candles
- Family photo collages
Help Seniors Explore Their Creativity at 12 Oaks Communities
At 12 Oaks managed senior living communities, we offer a variety of fun and easy activities that stimulate your seniors’ cognitive functions and mental health and help them unlock their creativity while also providing long-lasting happiness that makes them smile from ear to ear.
From activities as simple as painting mugs and pressing flowers to those somewhat as complicated as making Christmas wreaths and ornaments, your parents can genuinely feel comfortable and happy in a family-like atmosphere created by our dedicated team.
If you have questions about creative arts activities for seniors or any topics discussed here, connect with us and learn more.
At 12 Oaks, our team of caring professionals is dedicated to keeping residents safe, engaged, and connected to their families and friends while leading fulfilling lives. 12 Oaks senior living communities are an ideal place to enjoy the encore season of life.
For questions or to schedule a personalized tour, don’t hesitate to contact us.
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR BLOG
Searching for senior living help? At 12 Oaks Senior Living, we would love to learn more about your unique needs and the opportunity we may have to help you meet them. Our blog is one of the valuable resources we provide to inform and encourage seniors to lead fulfilling and thriving lives. Contact us today to schedule a visit.